Sunday, March 14, 2010

been down this road before

my ankles, my knees, my hips, my back and my arms have all done this marathon thing before. the person who I am today, though, the heart, the mind, the spirit and the soul have never done the training, run the miles or crossed a finish line 26.2 miles from the start.

I question what I have inside of me. I don't have that same fire I once had- the one that fought battle after battle to keep me going.

I know I can do this, I've done it before. But the voice inside of me, that sneaky one always waiting for an opening, tells me that I can't and that I might fail and if I fail then everything is a failure.

I'm in a pre-training phase. I have a few months before I get to the full training schedule. I just ordered new sneakers for training.

I've done a 20 mile run in New York City - what is another 6 miles with 30,000 other runners on a special day in November?

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to watching you train and run this special race. And I'm sure, deep down, you know that a DNF doesn't mean "everything is a failure."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do just great! As you know, I am also planning a late summer marathon. But it will be my first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fires can be banked for the night, keeping the coals hot and red for the morning, when a gentle blow and the addition of a little kindling will fan the coals right back into a roaring flame.

    find your kindling.

    (was that totally zen or what?) ROFLMAO

    ReplyDelete